How has Garden of Eve supported programs at HB?
Because women and transgender/gender non-conforming (TGNC) individuals continue to be marginalized in the larger LGBTQ community, Garden of Eve supports the work and services that these teams provide due to lack of funding.
Garden of Eve helps supports sexual and reproductive health services at our monthly Sexual and Repro Health Drop-In Night, where we provide HIV/STI testing and treatment, birth control counseling, IUD placement, mental health intake, insurance enrollment, pap/pelvic exams and breast or chest exams for FREE to uninsured or underinsured patients. While pap, pelvic and breast/chest exams are covered by our Illinois Breast and Cervical Cancer program, the remainder of services are provided by HB. We serve new and continuing patients from the larger community, including the BYC.
Garden of Eve also supports community programs and health education workshops that we otherwise wouldn’t have.
So how about some data breakdown on how someone’s ticket purchase affects Howard Brown?
- $5 pays for a patient’s round trip transit on CTA to attend an appointment at Howard Brown
- $10 pays for one safe-sex kit to be distributed at outreach events and includes lube, condoms, dental dams, etc.
- $15 pays for the materials needed for one young person to attend an IN.Power Sexual Harm Survivor Workshop
- $20 pays for a food voucher for patients living with HIV to access healthy and nutritious foods
- $25 pays for one hygiene kit for patients, including toothbrush/toothpaste/deodorant/comb/body wash/shampoo/feminine product
- $100 provides access to a primary care visit to discuss chronic health conditions including diabetes and hypertension
- $150 covers the cost of a sexual health visit including a full sexual health/STI screening panel
How many people attend GOE since inception?
2,790 unique individuals attended Garden of Eve at least once between 2009-2015 (there have been six events).
You May Also Like: