You broke up, now what? Legal Considerations in Separation

By Leslie A. Gutierrez

Break-ups are harsh. But they are even more taxing for couples who cohabitated prior to ending their relationship, because on top of all of the emotional turmoil, you have to fight over who stays, who goes, and who gets what. This article provides a simplified overview of some of the legal obstacles related to property rights that might arise post-break-up, and how to begin to address those obstacles. This article is written with the intention of providing solid legal information, and it’s quite heavy in the terminology to try and really help those that are seeking answers.

First, any analysis of one’s property rights must begin by defining the relationship. So, are you “married” in Illinois? Although at first glance this seems like a no-brainer, for same-sex couples, it is not. There have been many recent developments nation-wide as to the legal recognition afforded to same-sex relationships, and the law is still adjusting. So, the answer to this question varies depending on where you legally formalize your marriage and where you live now. Fortunately (somewhat) for those living in Illinois, the Illinois Religious Freedom and Civil Union Act (750 ILCS 75/1 et seq.) was enacted and became effective on June 1, 2011. This means that if you legally entered into a marriage, a civil union or a substantially similar legal relationship in another state, that relationship automatically became an Illinois civil union on June 1, 2011. As partners to a civil union, all of Illinois’ laws governing annulment, divorce, and property division that apply to married couples, equally apply to you. This includes, for example, Illinois’ joint simplified dissolution procedure (i.e. divorce) (750 ILCS 5/451 et seq.), where parties to a dissolution can file a joint petition for a simplified dissolution if certain conditions are met. This procedure can help streamline the divorce process. For more information about dissolution proceedings and for access to sample forms for filing, visit the Domestic Relations Division section of the Cook County Clerk of Court’s website.

For those couples who did not enter into a valid Illinois civil union but who cohabitated, the breaking-up process can be a bit more messy. The process can be as painless or as difficult as you choose to make it. If both sides can amicably agree as to the living arrangements and division of property, then it can all be done without going to court or relying on an attorney (but it wouldn’t hurt to put your agreements in writing). However, if it’s a bad break-up, then it can turn into a battleground of she said-she said, or he said-he said, or he said-she said, whatever the case may be. In this situation, the biggest scuffle is typically over property (unless, of course, there are children involved).

When a cohabitating couple terminates their relationship and they own title to real estate jointly (i.e. both names appear on it), the parties should attempt to work together in whatever way possible to come to an agreement (in writing) as to how to divide the property. Otherwise, the division of real property can get truly muddled. For example, if a couple cannot agree together as to how to divide the property, one of the legal remedies available for resolving ownership is through a “partition action”. A partition action is a suit filed in court, where one party requests that the court determines each party’s claim to the property and divides it accordingly. There are several ways in which the court can divide the property, including ordering a physical division where you each literally get ownership of different sections of the property, ordering that one party buy out the other party, or ordering that the property be sold with each party receiving their pro rata share of the proceeds. If you are arguing over a property that has a mortgage attached, a whole slew of obstacles can crop up as they are also considered a “party” and it is no longer just a case of the two of you owning something. Of course, again, such complex proceedings can be avoided if the parties can jointly agree by contract as to how to divide the property.

Now, when an unmarried couple terminates their relationship but only one party owns title to real estate, a myriad of new legal issues surface. The biggest being: does the party who does not own the property have any rights or interests in that property? The legal answer to that question is an unequivocal….maybe. Without an express written agreement outlining each side’s interests, a non-title holder partner is left to his or her next best legal position – asserting that an oral express agreement existed. This is a tough road to take, but for a partner who expended significant time, resources, and money into the couple’s home and who may be left with nothing, this is something to consider. There are numerous legal and equitable theories under which you could proceed, including, but not limited to, implied contract theories and unjust enrichment.

  • An implied contract is a legal substitute for a contract; it is a “contract” agreed to by non-verbal conduct and is based on a promise that is inferred in whole or in part from the parties’ conduct.
  • The “doctrine of unjust enrichment” is based on the premise that one party has unjustly retained a benefit to the other party’s detriment, and that party’s retention of the benefit would violate fundamental principles of justice, equity, and good conscience.

So, for example, a couple decides to move into together. One partner purchases the home under her name only, but the other partner contributes a portion of the purchase price and helped design, decorate, and/or maintain the home. If the partner who owns the home simply tries to kick her partner out after they break up, a court may find that allowing her to do so would result in her being unjustly enriched to the other party’s detriment (because she would own the house and had received all the perks of the decorating etc that the “non-owner” contributed). As a fair remedy, the court could impose what is referred to as a “constructive trust” on half of the value of the home, forcing the home owner to transfer that share of the property to her partner. This would provide that partner some relief in an otherwise grim situation.

For more information about your potential property rights after a break-up, consider setting up an appointment at the Center on Halsted’s Legal Clinic, reaching out to Lambda Legal’s help desk, or contacting a licensed attorney.

Leslie A. Gutierrez
Leslie Gutierrez is an Associate with the Litigation Practice Group at Clark Hill. Leslie practices general litigation, with a focus on commercial litigation, trust and estate litigation and administration, and real estate matters. Leslie earned her degrees from the University of Michigan and the Loyola University Chicago School of Law.

You May Also Like:

Back to blog


6 Responses to “You broke up, now what? Legal Considerations in Separation”

  1. Incredible real estate facility in town! Now I don’t have to worry about the paying guests and there problems anymore! Because samson properties chantilly va are here for me!

    Posted by | June 9, 2016, 1:32 am
  2. I am from China, i and my husband has been separated for 8 months now, he was the love of my life and the father of my two kids. He went out with another lady. I tried love potions and voodoo magic and the Ancient Kama Sutra just to have him back him back home to love me and settle down with his family again, it doesn’t work. I was so frustrated seeing all effort becoming waste, i was so lucky i heard about Dr Priest Okojie from the shango temple. I’m so happy he was the final solution to the problem i have been fighting for almost 6 months now. I will as well like all those who are having problems such as relationship issues, fertility problems and financial difficulties or simply you need a promotion in your carrier just contact email:shangosolutiontemple @ yahoo . com Dr Okojie from the shango family temple and he will solve your problem with ease withing just 4 days.

    Posted by Melinda Harold | July 29, 2016, 1:45 am
  3. I want to tell a secret to those of us; who their relationship/ marriage is going into misery beyond repair. And first before I begin, I want to first assure you readers, that there is no situation without a solution. Don’t leave that your horrible marriage you are almost fed up with…instead of running, why not stand to fight peace into it?? There is no strong marriage that has true love that is without a fight, and there is also no marriage that is without the experience of sweet and sour. With the one I experience, that I thought it’s finished there is nothing anybody can do about it. It’s was so hopeless to that level that I never believe it can be restored back again. God directed me to and open my eyes that those errors and mistakes in marriage if been corrected, these are the things that makes a strong marriage. With jai mata osa sunlight, I was able to get him back, after 2yrs of total separation. During before that time I got him back…I have no life without him and can’t imagine myself laying into another man arms after I have already spend so much years in a relationship with my husband before we now finally got married with the help of the great jai mata osa sunlight…and that was when I noticed, that we women, we are the cause of most of our problems. And I want to give you an insight prove for that…most of our ladies are lucky with good men who truly have love in their heart; and almost of them don’t the value gift of a good man. while others, are sorrowing love over a man who doesn’t love them. Pls, readers. If you read this comment and you have been facing sorrow with your love one’s, I want to tell you that, the end of that sorrow and misery is done. Sunlight mata, is the key you need to open every close doors of happiness, rejoice, love and satisfaction into that you relationship. I will help you by leaving her email below” contact her and cry to her for help. and let her help you to get out of that misery you don’t belong via ( Sunlightmata @gmail. com ) is her direct email and she will reply back and help you with whatever problems you want her help for. And pls be obedient to follow instructions.. thanks to you the great mother of love.

    Posted by martha | September 6, 2017, 3:46 pm
  4. My husband has be punishing me for not being the kind of wife he thinks I should be. He believes that if he withholds sex/affection, which he has done periodically over the entire 40+ years of our relationship (and which now is almost for 4 continuous years), I will become so miserable that I will turn into this meek, submissive, unargumentative spouse and undergo an entire personality change just to suit him. He acts as if I used to be a sweet-natured little darling when we were dating and as soon as I got the ring on my finger, I turned into this horrible shrew. That is such crap. We dated for almost 8 years
    (we started dating when we were 16) and if I were able to maintain that facade for that length of time, I should have won an Academy Award years ago. I was never Little Mary Sunshine but that is what he now wants. If I am very, very good and act like a Stepford Wife, then maybe some day before we are both too old to move, he will relent and indulge me. There is nothing physically wrong with him and I know he’s seeing anyone else. Was treating me like hell because he says I am not attractive anylonger after giving birth to 5kids. I’ve tried to find myself looking for things to dislike about him. I avoid him whenever possible, which isn’t easy in a 4 1/2 room apartment. We never touch, never talk about anything substantive. I really thank jai mata osa sunlight for her great insight and help she did for me to restore back my almost falling marriage. I contacted her with the problems, and she replied and asked me few things about us. I cried to her all the punishment I’ve been facing. Then she asked of his name and then told me how to get him back (of which I was desperate to do the things she told me to do) and then I provided the amount to cast the lovespell on him just as she instructed. The next morning, everything changed like nothing ever happened between us…as he was completely changed by the powers of the lovespell used on him. jai mata osa sunlight return him back to me as the good and loving husband that he use to be. And make he to submit himself to the family (he almost abandon and started sleeping aside our marriage) I am really so happy that I got his love and affection back. Jai mata sunlight helped me out of the problems I have been facing and restore back my falling marriage. Right now, I am enjoying true love in my marriage after 40 and 4yrs of predicaments in marriage. If you need spiritual help to restore your relationship/marriage via ( and I assure you to come back and share your testimonies and I will also love to read your story and how she helped you. Thanks to you maa osa sunlight. the mother of love. queen of the universe. Mother of the world.

    Posted by joyce | September 16, 2017, 3:38 pm
  5. I use to hate my life and at the same time, I feel so guilty cuz I’ve got the most amazing kid on earth and on the other hand I was like, I’m stuck in a marriage where I feel like I’m nothing to my husband..and my husband, doesn’t care about me and my kid and also I sometimes feel like my daddy loves my husband more than me cuz he watches what my husband do to us and yet still tells me that is life and I should be patient and be a wife and sometimes he even thinks that I’m lying if I told him some how my husband is mistreating but yeah he don’t care about me even though when he promised if I accept the arranged marriage he arranged he’ll always be on my side. And by that time, I regret for trusting anyone in my life cuz if my own dad can lie to me and not care about me then what makes me think that I’m worthy of my husband’s attention or his love. I felt I was stuck in a life where I only have one good thing in my life which is my son and my fear that someday he’ll be taken away from me. I can’t remember the last time that i felt loved from anyone other than my one year old son and maa osa sunlight. I really thank maa osa sunlight” for being there for me to wipe away my predicaments that nobody knows about. I don’t even have relation who stood by me Only jai mata sunlight, who became a mother, and a friend. Indeed she sees the pains and sorrows I was going through in marriage that my own dad never care or border to know about. She is indeed a true mother of love and understanding thanks to you great mother of ezioguru. Who help me restore back the dead love and happiness in my life and my marriage. Readers, do you have any troubles that you need help and you’ve given up for?? Don’t give up. Pls copy and via ( to get help and the solutions to your problems. And pls when you contact, be specific with your request so you don’t offend her highness okay?? Thanks to you mother sunlight priestess of ezioguru temple.

    Posted by rosemary | September 27, 2017, 9:01 am


  1. […] Newly separated? Get some legal advice […]

Post a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.