Your Uterus Can Fall Out

Unfortunately, it is actually common for women to suffer from what is called Uterine Prolapse. Uterine Prolapse is a fancy term for when your uterus basically collapses on itself and, in severe cases, the uterus passes through the vaginal opening.

“No way, the uterus can fall out? Why didn’t they tell us this in health class?” The idea to write this article came about at one of our ritual lesbian wine nights, when I started defending why I wasn’t too keen on the idea of birthing my own children. Vivian exclaimed in that tipsy dramatization that happens only after a bottle or two of chardonnay, “Kim, you need to write about this. Women deserve to know!”

Before I freak out all of our readers, this problem tends to occur as we age into post-menopause. The pelvic floor muscles (PC muscles) and ligaments that hold the uterus in place weaken with the diminishing estrogen levels. Other risks for Uterine Prolapse include: having one or more vaginal births, smoking, being overweight, lifting objects that are too heavy, and untreated chronic cough.

Symptoms:

·         A feeling as if sitting on a small ball

·         Difficult or painful sexual intercourse

·         Frequent urination or a sudden, urgent need to empty the bladder

·         Low backache

·         Protruding of the uterus and cervix through the vaginal opening (Duh!)

·         Repeated bladder infections

·         Sensation of heaviness or pulling on the pelvis

·         Vaginal bleeding or increased vaginal discharge

For most women who have mild forms of Uterine Prolapse there is a great non-surgical solution. Do your Kegels! Yes, this is just one more reason to do Kegel exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles.   Even Margret Cho’s stand-up video, “Beautiful,” boasts a strong cunt with her Smart-Ball-assisted Kegel exercises as she started experiencing Uterine Prolapse. Otherwise, there are special medical devices you can insert to hold the uterus in place, and of course surgical options of tying your uterus to the nearest ligament.

I’m really into preventative care, so do your Kegels. Kegel Exercises are easy, discreet, and benefit your sexual health all around. Finding the right group can be a little tricky, but inserting a finger can help you isolate the right muscles.

Pee Pausing
If you want to strengthen those PC muscles, try stopping your pee while you’re urinating. If you can’t completely stop your pee, try just slowing it down and building your strength over time. Make sure to empty your bladder completely after practicing.

The Flutter
Try squeezing your PC muscles as fast as you can in sets of five. Then rest and do another set. These exercises are particularly helpful for urinary incontinence.

The Elevator
This exercise is deeper and especially great for preventing Uterine Prolapse. You tighten your PC muscles slowly with long holds. Imagine you are on an elevator raising your PC muscles up floor by floor. Once you hit the third floor slowly relax your muscles stopping at each floor.

If you are having trouble strengthening on your own or aren’t quite sure if you are doing them correctly, you can add special toys designed to strengthen the pelvic floor. Take a peek at your local toy shop. Early to Bed is great for advice in finding the perfect strengthening toys for your needs. Stay tuned for my next article which will be a review of Fun Factory’s Smart Balls.

About Kim

Kimberly Rogers, LCSW. like many Queer Ohioans fled to Chicago when Issue #1 (most discriminating marriage ban in the US) passed by 75%. Now she works in the fight against HIV/AIDS as a psychotherapist and smarter-sex advocate. A Master’s graduate from the University of Chicago, Kim mixes her interests of gender, sexuality, queer politics, and mental health liberation into a her own Sex-Positive Psychotherapy Practice. She feels so fortunate to be working with such amazing and passionate people.

25 Responses to “Your Uterus Can Fall Out”

1. God bless the Kegel….well done Kim!!! <3

Posted by K Guzman | November 22, 2011, 9:56 am
  2. Do NOT care for the scare tactics of the title.

Posted by Lee McLean | November 22, 2011, 12:34 pm
  3. I think the scare tactics are more than needed. I mean, I knew that uterine prolapse could happen about the same time I found out about orgasms. Why? Because I found my sexual health a point of interest…I always will. But, many of our readers don’t. Some people ignore it because they think if they aren’t having sex with guys, or aren’t planning on having kids, We as a group have a poor sexual health record. So, I say to you…SCARE ‘EM!!! Scare em all. If you spend more time letting someone else learn about your lady parts than you do then your health is at risk and more than likely, your sex life…scare em into reality and shake em from their lull of a false sense of security Kim!!!

Posted by Meg | November 22, 2011, 6:01 pm
  4. Your uterus cannot fall out, as in dropping out of your body and landing on the floor! The uterus is attached to broad bands of ligaments, nerves and blood supply, all of which keep the uterus falling out onto the floor.

A 1º uterine prolapse is so slight most women have no symptoms. A 1º prolapse can be resolved, return to it’s normal position, with a modification of the kegel exercises. In a 2º uterine prolapse the uterus has descended a little further down into the vaginal canal, and may be at the opening of the vagina. A 2º prolapse can also often be resolved with a modification of kegel exercises. In a 3º uterine prolapse the uterus is protruding out of the vaginal opening, but it cannot fall onto the floor, it is held in place by ligaments, blood supply and nerve supply. A pessary, which is a devide that is similar to a diaphragm, provides structural support to hold the uterus in place.

Read about uterine prolapse and get the modified kegel exercises at http://www.hersfoundation.org. Scroll down the home page to “Prolapse”. You can also watch an important short video “Female Anatomy: the Functions of the Female Organs” at http://www.hersfoundation.org/anatomy.

Posted by Nora | November 23, 2011, 8:36 am
  5. Okay, I just had to read this one! – I mean I got off work early for the holiday and didn’t even stop at FB first – I felt compelled to learn about my uterus. I now know I can’t read this site from my blackberry and I don’t even try anymore… This was my 1st article on lstop this afternoon – I’ve wanted to read it for a whole day and didn’t have time…and now I’ve been reading and thinking about great different subjects for over an hour as I’ve moved from article to article catching up. Great writing compliments to all of you.

Posted by Joy | November 23, 2011, 2:39 pm
  6. I never knew about this until I heard it from Kim. Thank you for sharing! It’s important to know that this can happen to anyone, but there are ways to prevent it.

Posted by Andrea | November 23, 2011, 6:17 pm
  7. @Joy! Thank you for that! If you do have other topics in mind, please tell us about them at contact@thelstop.org. As far as reading our website on your Blackberry, we’re working on it! :)

Posted by Vivian | November 23, 2011, 11:33 pm
  8. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
    Thanks Kim.

Posted by Casey | November 25, 2011, 9:16 pm
  9. My mothers uterus fell out after she had me to the point it was completely out and the doctor somehow just put it back in she was so scared she said it felt like all of your insides our gone when she told the nurse something’s wrong and could feel it in her underware something came out the nurse didnt believe her but then she took a look and called the doctor I think this is groose

Posted by Jasmine | October 24, 2012, 9:55 pm
  10. If a woman has to have surgery how long will she b down for?????

Posted by cat | December 10, 2012, 6:24 pm
  11. Scroll down to about third of the page and you will find the article titled “prolapsed uterus overview”. In this article it’s states 4 degrees. Let me just add here the four degrees decribed from the article.
    •First degree: The cervix droops into the vagina.
    •Second degree: The cervix sticks to the opening of the vagina.
    •Third degree: The cervix is outside the vagina.
    •Fourth degree: The entire uterus is outside the vagina. This condition is also called procidentia. This is caused by weakness in all of the supporting muscles.
    For more information from this article, I added the link.

Medical Author:Sarah Samreen, MBBS
    Coauthor:George Lazarou, MD, FACOG
    Medical Editor:Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, Chief Medical Editor

Posted by Kathie H. | December 23, 2012, 7:06 am
  12. Great article Kim….. I just wanted to point out that the pee pausing, although once very popular, is not longer recommended for strengthening the PC muscles. It is now only used to demonstrate to women what PC muscle contraction feels like. Here is a link to a site that does a great job of discussing different ways to strength and activate your PC muscles.

Posted by Jen | February 1, 2013, 3:31 pm
  13. Didn’t say nothing about fist fucking, double fist fucking, excessively large and or long dildos etc…..

But then Merikens can’t say the word cunt either.

Posted by Munch On | April 25, 2013, 5:30 pm
  14. Falling uterus. How can it be put back in place without surgery/hysterectomy???

Posted by jeannette chantrey | May 11, 2013, 6:59 pm
  15. I had sex with my boyfriend, and i was on top of him. He had sex with me in a forceful way. After sex, i deep my finger inside my vaginal and i felt something very soft so i used my finger to push it in. I want to know if my womb has fallen bcos of wrong position during sex. Am scared if my womb has fallen due to sex i had in a wrong position. What could be the cause?

Posted by Faith | May 19, 2013, 12:22 pm
  16. Its been 2 years now i have this problem of my uterus falling .i can see it it blocked in vagina .sometimes it goes back by it self.ive been to the hospital they are tellin me its fine,how could it be fine while im seeing it.

Posted by Nasirita | July 12, 2013, 2:14 am
  17. Wow Nasirita, sounds like you need to seek a second medical opinion. Stat!

Posted by admin | July 15, 2013, 1:52 pm
  18. Nasirita, a doctor might recommend a pessary (a device you insert to support the uterus), they can perform surgery and make a “sling” to support the uterus.

I had a friend years ago with uterine prolapse at age 30 (she had had children at 14 and 16); her doctor recommended a total hysterectomy. I begged her to consider all her options — removal of a healthy organ is extreme — but she did it. Recovery was a difficult time for her, physically and emotionally…going into menopause as a young woman was rough.

Posted by K | July 28, 2013, 3:15 pm
  19. @ k thanx hey.

Posted by Nasirita | July 31, 2013, 1:37 pm
  20. I believe my sisters uterus fell out due to constipation. She was on the toilet for an hour pushing and pushing then she had a bowl movement but something else ccame out through her vagina.is that possible?

Posted by dj | August 17, 2013, 1:11 am
  21. Im so depressed cause its been two years I notice that my uterus comes out looking like a ball when ever.Im sitting at the toilet so I’m 25 right now and I called my doctors office to make an appointed when I got the bad news that I was too young to young to have this problem and that I cant be a mom anymore when my husband and I wanted to have another baby :( but when I stand I dont feel nothing comeing out only when I sit down at the toilet does it means I need surgery now plz help

Posted by sylvia martin | November 8, 2013, 10:10 pm
  22. This web site really has all of the information I wanted concerning this subject and didn’t know
    who to ask.

Posted by rsi houston roofing | December 11, 2013, 8:15 pm
  23. Hi there, its fastidious paragraph regarding media print, we all be aware of
    media is a great source of data.

Posted by Terese | March 23, 2014, 4:55 pm
  24. I am Debra i went to telling the whole world my happiness and joy ,because this is just too much i am happy with a bouncing baby boy if not for God almighty and dr olufa who made this happen what would i have done ,thank you once again dr olufa,i was married for the pass 6 year no child .normally i don’t believe in such drugs before but after using dr olufa roots and herbs i started believing in it.my advise to women out there seeking for the fruit of the womb,please try this herb drugs,it works and it is real.it works for me and i believe it we work for you too because is the one that bring happiness to my life email hem if you need is help at (olufahomeofsolution@outlook.com)

Posted by debra | December 20, 2014, 7:05 pm

1. […] am not the only one thinking this things. I mean. Basically? All your stuff CAN fall out! Look here Your Uterus Can Fall Out   I KNOW? Right? While I am not going to have any children, and I do all of the exercises we are […]