The Ex Factor: Lesbians and their Exes

I was reading the blog  “Stuff Lesbians Like” and one of the posts was “Being friends with their exes.”  I didn’t want to agree with this, especially since the post painted this lesbian trend  in a comically negative light, but then I realized the validity. I have been on speaking terms with all of my exes.

Episode One:  Instant  Friendship Post Breakup

One of my first girlfriends, whom I will call Clara, broke up with me one morning in between classes and she felt ready to be friends with me the instant after she broke up with me.  Literally seconds after she broke up with me, the next words out of her mouth were “So what’s up with you?”

We talked for another hour after that.  And it was not a maudlin discussion about her losing attraction to me or commitment issues or heartbreak, a moment I still felt I needed.  Instead we talked about the same things we often talked about.  Silly things, like the most recent episode of The Office and a book her roommate recommended to her.  We talked about deeper things, like notions of heaven and hell, and her arguing that I should have kids someday.  Naturally I have never before fought so strongly the urge to break down and cry, but I stayed and talked with her because I knew that this friendship we had could never go back to meaning more to her.

Normally on our Tuesday morning dates, I never really worried about getting to class until I had only five minutes to spare.  That particular Morning, I left thirty minutes earlier than usual.  She asked for a hug, and of course I gave her one, because I could never say no to her.  But this hug felt different.  I could not relax into it and I turned my face away from her, instead of resting it on her shoulder as I had done before.

After a couple of weeks, we went out to dinner together, just the two of us.  It was surprisingly comfortable, like talking with an old friend.  I was not the least bit sad all evening, until I dropped her off at her apartment, and for the first time in a while, we said good night with a long friendly hug.  I walked home, convinced that maybe we were re-connecting.

The following night, she invited me to go out dancing with her and her friends (who might have been more upset about the break up than she was).  I thought This is my chance to get glammed up and put effort into my appearance, the way I should have while we were together.  Naturally, despite my efforts to look good when I met her at her house that night, she of course looked perfect.  While dancing with her, we did not touch at all, and it bothered me that I noticed that.

We hung out consistently for an entire year after the break, hanging out on average 1.5 times a week.  Sometimes we would hang out with her roommates.  Other times it was just the two of us.  Sometimes she would invite me to a party where she would be able to socialize with other people.  Other times she would invite me out for dinner at the café I took her to the night she first kissed me, or she would ask me to wander around Chicago at night to take pictures.  Sometimes she would ask me to join her shopping at random, not for clothes or recreation, but for bedding or groceries, which I read as activities for close friends or girlfriends.

One time she even invited me to the gym with her.  Naturally, I did not want to embarrass myself in front of my dream girl, but I could never really say no to her.  It was a torturous sixty minutes on the stair climber, not because of sweating and Charlie-horses, but because I spent the whole hour trying not to stare at her perfect little butt in her perfect little spandex, as she took each step.  It was that day at the gym that I realized that I had my limits met.

What I realized  eventually is that every time our friend dates ended and I walked away from her, I still had to fight the urge not to cry, even after a year.

Why did I subject myself to this?  Why did I let my self love her even more after she broke up with me?  It took me a year, but I finally admitted to myself.  The part of me that held on to her friendship was the same part of me that still believed she might love me again.

When I came to this realization, I told her I still had the same feelings for her, and thus we could not be friends anymore, or I at least until I had a chance to fall out of love with her (thankfully I said it differently, lest I further humiliate myself).  Of course she had to be wonderful and kind when rejecting me for the second time, but most importantly she said what finally needed to be said.  “Let me know when you’re ready to be friends again.  But Casey, be honest.”

Honestly, Clara is still one of the most beautiful most incredible people I have ever met in my life.   And I cannot wait to spend time with her again.  I just know that I needed to take some time to let myself fall out of love with her completely.

About Casey

Casey is a creative writing student at DePaul university. She enjoys reading, writing, and taking long walks around the city of Chicago.

13 Responses to “The Ex Factor: Lesbians and their Exes”

1. I did the same thing to my present-girlfriend when we broke up 4 years ago. Somehow it ended up working for me that we got back together. But I completely agree that unless both parties are ready to be JUST friends, they shouldn’t be friends immediately after a breakup.

Posted by JT | June 30, 2011, 11:59 am
  2. you took the words right out of my head. It’s the falling out of love completely that is the tricky part…..

Posted by K Guzman | June 30, 2011, 1:29 pm
  3. I personally think it depends on how the break up went down because honestly if it was a bad one why would you wan to stay friends?

Also I think its important to take some apart time and maybe but it depends on each persons situation

Posted by L.M | June 30, 2011, 1:42 pm
  4. My ex was great friends with her exes. One of her best friends was an ex-girlfriend. The ex was still in love with her (probably still is) and would stay at her house when I wasn’t there, sleep in the same bed and everything. It was kind of uncomfortable for me, but I trusted her.

I’m not really close to any of my exes and the ones I am friends with are the guys (when I was pretending to be something I wasn’t).

Posted by Sara | June 30, 2011, 3:32 pm
  5. This really puts into words exactly where I am with my ex right now. I recently accepted that not talking or interacting is actually helping me get over her. I’m slowly falling out of love and, as much as it pains me to accept, I know that it is for the best.

Posted by Jen | June 30, 2011, 9:06 pm
  6. The thing is, we had excellent friend chemistry, and she did not give me a solid reason why she was not attracted to me anymore. It was just that she was starting to see me as just a friend. Since she didn’t insult me or anything, I really could not think of a reason why I shouldn’t hang out with her.

Posted by Casey | July 5, 2011, 10:20 am
  7. Without DR DAHIRU a lot of people would have been dead through heart break. My case is not different from heart break, I am married woman with 3 kids and there was a time when i was having problem with my husband because he was having an affair outside our marriage and this was making me feel bad. So i tried finding solution to my problem by reading a lot of relationship tips on the internet and that was how i came in contact with DR DAHIRU contact details and through the help of DR DAHIRU my husband left the girl he was having affair with and he came back to me and our kids. After a job well done by DR DAHIRU i felt that it will be unfair if i keep this secret to myself and that is why i am going to drop the contact details of DR DAHIRU right now, They are: arewaspecialistttemple@gmail.com

Posted by frama | October 4, 2014, 11:21 pm
  8. i cant just stop thanking this great man for what he has done in my life because without him i dont know were i would have been now thank you drzizi for bringing back my husband to me if you are out there and you are having any issue with your relationship or you want your lover back or any problem at all you can contact this great man through his email@drzizitemple@gmail.com
    THANKS DRZIZI,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted by martha | August 19, 2015, 5:31 am
  9. I FEEL LIKE CRYING WHEN SHARING THIS TESTIMONIES THAT THE GREAT DR OFURE DID IN MY LIFE. MY NAME IS (JAMIE GIBSON) FROM UNITED STATE OF AMERICA (USA) IT ALL STARTED WHEN MY HUSBAND STARTED MISBEHAVING WITHOUT ANY REASON, I TRY TO UNDERSTAND HIM BUT THINGS WAS GETTING MORE COMPLICATING TO THE EXTENT EVERYTHING WAS AFFECTING MY KIDS, I SPENT MUCH MONEY TIME AND EVERYTHING TO MAKE SURE I UNDERSTAND HIM AND KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR MARRIAGE BUT NOTHING GOOD COME OUT OF IT, IT GET TO THE POINT WHEN HE DIVORCE ME AND STARTED DATING MY BEST FRIEND, THAT WAS WHEN I NOTICE THE REASON FOR HIS EVERYTHING THAT WAS GOING ON. BUT I NEVER GIVE UP BECAUSE I LOVE HIM WITH MY LIFE AND HE IS THE FATHER OF MY TWO KIDS, AND I DON’T WANT THEM TO GROW WITHOUT A FATHER, AFTER TWO YEARS A FRIEND THAT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM INTRODUCE ME TO A MAN THAT HELP HER CALLED DR OFURE. AT FIRST I DOUBT BECAUSE AM A HUMAN AND I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING TO BRING HIM BACK, BUT I DECIDED TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE, WITHING THE NEXT 48HOURS I SAW HIM AT MY DOOR POST WHEN I WAS GETTING READY FOR WORK, I WAS SHOCKED BECAUSE I DON’T REALLY KNOW WHY HE CAME TO SEE ME, AFTER EVERYTHING HE BEGGED FOR FORGIVENESS, AND CAME BACK BEEN WITH GOOD INTENTION, NOT ONLY THAT ALL THE PEOPLE THAT EAT MY MONEY TRYING TO GET HIM BACK RETURN EVERYTHING TO ME TODAY WE ARE HAPPY FAMILY AND KEEP NO SECRET TO EACH OTHERS, MY HUSBAND IS THE BEST, AND I SAY THANKS TO DR OFURE. CONTACT HIM WITH HIS EMAIL ADDRESS (ofuresolutionhome@outlook.com) HE IS THE BEST AND HE WILL SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS INCLUDING PREGNANCY AND ALL (ofuresolutionhome@outlook.com)I WILL CONTINUE TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT YOUR GOOD WORK.

Posted by jamie gibson | August 21, 2015, 11:30 pm
  10. the only person that i can bodly say say can solve any relationship problem or any problem at all is this great man called drzizi after i came in contact with him thank you drzizi for restoring my family and my relationship you can contat him through his email @drzizitemple@gmail.com for your problems

Posted by michelle | August 26, 2015, 8:26 am
  11. I was barring for 7 years and my husband hardly talk to me because anytime I conceived, it will fallout to be miscarriage or I will lost the baby and bad story for me because of my HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE which I try for so many time, it couldn’t possible for the doctors to cure it for me and they said with that I will not able to have a child and my mother-in law was not even talking to me all she was saying is that my husband should drive me out of the house and marry another woman, so i keep on praying and i saw the work of DR zumalu online and i just say let me contact him and explain my problem to him and he said he will first cure me on my HIGH BLOOD PRESURE before and after one week on his Medications, the Doctor confirm me with low (LBP) After that, i mate with my husband and after 3 months a great miracle fell on me and i am happy with My 8months baby boy, if you also need a help please contact his email address: (doctorzumalu@gmail.com)/TEL Tel :+234 702373829

Posted by Muren | September 1, 2015, 5:17 am
  12. Hello my child. did you received my email? my child, I want you to understand that dr. Oluku is a very generous dr, who like to help people for their problems, especially HIV. my child, you hardly respond to my email, then why is it so? because I have already contacted the supplier of the items my child, so all you will need to do is to go and make in the payment for the items my child, so that I can proceed for your work, because my gods has accept to help you my child, okay?

Posted by Michel Caroll | February 15, 2016, 1:00 pm

1. […] comparing Ex 1 and Ex 2, why was it so much harder to maintain a friendship with Ex2 than Ex1? My guess is that […]