The Audience: When Guys Find Lesbians Entertaining

I’m sure many of you fellow lesbians have experienced the same if not similar experience.

The other night I was on a second date with a girl.  She waited with me at the train stop at the end of the evening. We kissed. We, then, noticed that there was a middle-aged gentlemen, standing four feet away from us, giving a thumbs up and saying, “I like.”

He asked us how long we had been together.
“So do you only like girls? You don’t like it with men?”
“Do you two only kiss?”
“Two girls, I like it.”
My date finally responded, “Sir, you just made this incredibly uncomfortable, so we are going to get up and go to the bench on the other side.”
“Why?” he whined with an incredibly pervert-esque pout.

It was not as if we were making out voraciously or licking each other or anything particularly steamy.  We just kissed. I guess the average straight male processes this differently, when the kissing is between two girls.

He tried to get on our good side, trying to seem tolerant (as if we ought to care what he thinks).

It would be one thing if he just watched but, in this case, he just took it too far.

I guess I cannot really blame him.  I am not one of those lesbians who do not get the appeal of watching two cute girls make out.  Let’s face it: to watch two girls kiss is, for lack of better word, hotter than a jet engine.  However, I still feel like straight guys rarely know how to behave around us lesbians.

About Casey

Casey is a creative writing student at DePaul university. She enjoys reading, writing, and taking long walks around the city of Chicago.

9 Responses to “The Audience: When Guys Find Lesbians Entertaining”

1. Oh they know how to act all right- badly! Those types of guys think that you are there for their personal sexual entertainment. The next thing would have been the come-on: “I have a really hot girlfriend/wife whatever. You would look great together…. Why don’t you come on over for a drink- I will only watch….”. :-P

The proper response is to shut them down asap. “Sorry but my sexual life is none of your f***ng business.”

And call the cops if he keeps harassing you, because that’s what it is.

Posted by Arwen_in_NJ | June 2, 2011, 12:25 pm
  2. In a male-centric world….all women, regardless of orientation, are just around for their amusement and titillation.
    I agree with what was said above: shut them down asap.

Posted by Valency | June 2, 2011, 1:08 pm
  3. I once had a guy chase me and my girlfriend down the street in his car trying to give us his business card because he thought we were hot together. All we were doing was holding hands!

Posted by Jennifer Kernes | June 4, 2011, 12:50 am
  4. Why must you assume that, “the average straight male processes” anything in one particular way? How is that any different that saying “the average black person” or “the average sexist person”?

Posted by Wondering | June 5, 2011, 1:39 am
  5. @Wondering
    Did I offend you?
    I’m sorry. You are right. It’s a generalization.
    This was just written based on an observation. I figured a lot of the women who use this site can relate to this experience.

Posted by Casey | June 7, 2011, 12:58 am
  6. Casey, don’t be sorry! Its an unfortunate reality that many men act in the particular way you described. That is not to say that EVERY male does, but that it is a common theme you have seen over the years. Don’t be sorry for making an observation. This was a great piece.

Posted by Jennifer Kernes | June 8, 2011, 5:11 am
  7. Well thanks Jennifer Kernes. I agree, that I don’t think I said anything horribly offensive, but I do try to respond positively to criticism like that

Anyway thanks again for reading!

Posted by Casey | June 8, 2011, 8:51 am
  8. I was taken aback by the generalization. Mainly because it came in a blog on a website that seems to encourage open mindedness and discourage prejudice. In my humble opinion using the phrase “average straight male” means “it is the norm for straight males” to process things in this fashion. It just seems odd that generalizations like this are considered appropriate while attempting to bring new thought into a community.

I wasn’t offended, just confused by the rather short sighted view of society, I highly doubt it’s actually the norm for straight males to be huge perverts in public. While I know you never made that claim outright, describing this guys perverted actions and then justifying them by saying “I guess the average straight male processes this differently” gives the impression that you are saying this perverted reaction is that of the average straight male. Like I said, I wasn’t offended, I was just questioning some things. The questions never really got answered though.

Posted by Wondering | June 9, 2011, 1:18 pm
  9. Hi Wondering,

Just for the record, The L Stop is absolutely about open-mindedness in the community, Chicago and LGTBQ. We also touch on womens issues, such as the one mentioned in this article. We live in a world where our perspectives are structured by our experiences. This is simply an opinion piece, and we value everyone’s including yours. So thank you for contributing.

Posted by Vivian | June 9, 2011, 2:43 pm